RANGER AGAINST WAR: Blue Moon <

Monday, November 06, 2006

Blue Moon

I wrote this the evening before election day, but I'll call it my voting day meditation.

After too many days of perverted news, my body and mind yearned to disgorge the offenses and reinstate the simple truths, according to me. What follows is a testimonial of what being a patriotic American means to me:

I do not support wars of aggression, even when couched in patriotic terms. I fear the loss of my humanity more than I fear death via terrorist depradations.

I do not support torture, or inhumane interrogation techniques. I don't support the U.S. military machine killing Iraqis and Afghanis in my name.

I do not support spreading democracy through military invasion.

I do not believe that terrorists can destroy the American way of life, nor do I believe that they desire to do so. I think current U.S. policy only exacerbates the terrorist threat, and I believe that only American actions can destroy our way of life.

I believe in habeus corpus and the U.S. legal system. Federal courts, not military tribunals, are the hallmark of American justice.

I believe in a separation and balance of powers. I believe the courts, and not presidential diktat, should interpret the constitutionality of laws.


I believe in bipartisanship. Neither party represents the totality that is the U.S. Moreover, I believe that the U.S. needs a new 3rd party that represents the great middle class; they've been left hanging for too long now. I also believe that political debates should not scripted.

I believe that all elected officials work for the citizens. The U.S. government does not pay for anything, it administrates from the pockets of the U.S. taxpayers.

I believe all U.S. citizens deserve access to health care. We do not deserve the title of superpower if we cannot provide for this most basic human need.

I believe the Department of Veteran's Affairs needs to be funded, rather than having their budget negotiated by politicians. Veterans paid for their health and disability payments through their service.

I believe a professional military is not in the best interests of the U.S., and that a draft is a good thing. I also believe that all citizens should perform two years of mandatory service following graduation, be it in the armed or civilian services. Americorps, Vista and Peace Corps are fine ways to discharge one's duty to society. Living in a democracy entails not only rights but reposibilities, also.

I believe that the Secretary of Defense and all service secretaries should have combat or military experience.

I believe that my tax dollars should save lives, not end them.

I believe that the U.S. is greater than the policies of GWB would indicate.
The concept of America is long-term and big picture; the leadership provided by GWB is myopic, and by nature, short term.

I believe national leaders should have to pass a psychological inventory before being placed on a ballot. The lowest rifleman in the military is psychologically screened, so why not those in the top tiers of government, upon whose decisions many more lives ride?

I do not believe that God has a role directing U.S. foreign policy.


I do not believe that senior military officials should be promoted or rewarded on the basis of their religiosity. Military competenece alone should be recognized and rewarded. Religion and democracy have been conflated and subverted by the religious right.

Nor that anyone should be imprisoned--secretly or otherwise--unless convicted of a crime. Pre-trial confinement is acceptable, but only preceding a speedy trial.

Nor that the mantra of national security trumps the right of the citizens to know what the government perpetrates in our name.

Nor that black ops or any government activities should be secretly funded.

Nor that executive orders are legal when the intent is to bypass Congress's enumerated constitutional powers. Executive order cannot contravene constitutional intent.

Nor that the U.S. military or high command is honor-bound to fulfill criminal policies.

Nor that the 4th Amendment is alive or well.

Nor that the President is a law and power unto himself.

Nor that ultra liberals should masquerade as middle-of-the-roaders.

Nor that the current policies of our government express the will of the people, nor do they address the needs of the average American.

All citizens have the right to know what the government perpetrates in our name. Government by secrecy is neither liberal nor democratic. Secrecy is autocratic, and liberal is not a dirty word.


Happy voting day.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, Ranger & Lisa.

Amen.

Hopefully today is the first day of turning this nation around. Hopefully the beginning of the end of "The Dark Ages."

I guess every great society goes through a "Dark Age" period. Hopefully we can limit ours to just 6 to 8 years (or ten or so years when you count the crap started by Gingrich in the mid 90's).

Even so, it has been one nasty-assed stretch of time. It will take way more than 6 to 8 years to clean up all that GWB and his bunch have soiled.

Anyway - let's hope for the best. The first baby-step is getting the House of Reps away from the GOP - and hopefully a significant number of governorships away from them as well.

The Bush sympathisers have already shown their campaign hand ... It is better to be actively screwing things up vs. not having a coherent plan detailing how you will clean up our screw ups. Since this war has touched a limited number of Americans - it could be somewhat effective.

So, in your opinion, what should the plan be in Iraq?

Without a doubt, this is the proverbial "$64 question" (or maybe more accurately - the "$600 billion question"). I respect your insights. So if you have an opinion on this - I'm more than happy to listen.

Happy Voting,

KW

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 at 12:28:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I share all of those beliefs with you Ranger, with the exception of this: "Nor that ultra liberals should masquerade as middle-of-the-roaders."

But perhaps that's only because I'm not sure what you mean by "ultra liberals." Could you perhaps provide an example of an ultra-liberal posing as a middle-of-the-roader?

Tuesday, November 7, 2006 at 5:39:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

From the other side of the Atlantic,
this American vision full of fundamental values is the one we, Europeans, love to ear and which makes us dreaming.
Moreover, coming from a soldier it reminds us good souvenirs.
With such kind of back thought, no doubt that the people will have chosen their right representatives.
Greetings from Belgium

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 2:36:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Rojo,
Thanks for your comment.

Far as ultra lib poseurs, I am thinking of Hillary Clinton and John Kerry, for starters.

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have the gamut, but I don't believe the people buy into deceptive packaging. I'm for truth in advertising (tall order for politicoes)...say who you are and what you believe, and maybe I'll vote for you.

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 11:40:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Dear KW,

Thank you.

Per your question,

Plan A: I would link U.S. withdrawal from Iraq with Iranian agreement to abandon nukes. Quid pro quo. Then I'd turn out the lights and leave.

Plan B: Exfiltrate on the exact same routes upon which we attacked the country and tell them it was merely a training exercize. Let Saddam keep the black suit we gave him--carry on. We'll publish an after-action report later.

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 11:48:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Mr. van Tiggelen,

We're happy to have you on our site, and we appreciate your comments. Please know that not all Americans think like Bush.--Jim

Wednesday, November 8, 2006 at 12:09:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home