RANGER AGAINST WAR: Nepotists and Contractors <

Saturday, November 18, 2006

Nepotists and Contractors

Bankers, nepotists, contractors and talkies:
on four fingers one may count the leeches which have sucked a young and vigorous industry into paresis

--Dalton Trumbo

Trumbo was referring to corruption in Hollywood, but his statement holds just as well for our current administration. I am concerned that contracting for military support impedes our military operations by reducing the efficiency of the command structure.


The combat division is a self-contained organization for sustained ground combat. All divisions are considered to be manuever elements that possess what is commonly called the division slice of support. This slice is the combat service and combat-service support. These are the Jessica Lynches of the Army, if you will.

They drive trucks, repair vehicles, provide petroleum, oil and lubricants (POL), wash and repair clothes, run water and shower points, collect and dispose of dead bodies, retrieve discarded items from the battlefield, maintain weapons, and run mess facilities. They are generally not discussed, since they were traditionally at the unit level and organic to the units.

This is just a gross overview of combat support and combat service-support functions. The division, corps and theatre Armies have similar support to fulfill increased mission requirements of corps, and echelons above corps.

The trend of recent administrations has been to replace those division, corps and theatre support assets with contractors. I believe this is a politicial decision so that administrations can mislead the taxpayers as to the actual number of U.S. soldiers involved in an operation. The actual number of participants in an engagement is much larger that actual troop numbers, if you would include the contractors who are providing services that used to be provided by Army personnel.

I find it doubtful that contractors can provide the support network more efficiently or cheaper through contract bidding. Further, by contracting these services out, they are no longer subject to the tactical will of the commander.

In addition, contractors sometimes employ more indigenous personnel around U.S. forces. This does not facilitate operational security and, as such, should be discouraged.

While we did hire indigenous in Vietnam, those were not fast-moving tactical situations. Those were garrison situations, which facilitated the use of the indigenous population. In such circumstances, these personnel can be properly vetted. Without such oversight, indigenous employees are privy to troop movement, as their work schedule reflects our tactical schedules. The indigenous people in your mess hall may be loyal people, but they can be surveilled and compromised in many different ways.

It is a political lie that there are 150,000 soldiers in Iraq. There are untold numbers of military contractors that should be added to that figure, if the public were being told the rest of the story. (Where is Paul Harvey when we need him?)

Could you imagine military contractors at Bataan, Corregidor, D-Day, or the Battle of the Bulge? It just wouldn't work. Military contractors can never work in a traditional ground war because they're not responsive to the needs of the commander. And commanders should not be distracted by dealing with contractors, separately from their regular Army personnel.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Exactly spotted. Subcontracting also leaves a very good possibility for dishonest elements to gain decision-power in the chain of command, so influencing decisions in ways not professional. Corruption is a fact in all historical armies, but the current regime of the US forces is quite astonishing.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 at 4:39:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No way you could have been in SF if you claim we did not hire indig for real operations. Yards, Nungs, and Cambodes were on the Mike Force and in all the projects. I think you are a phoney.

J. J. Ogershok, Jr.
Actually ex-SF

Monday, November 20, 2006 at 4:15:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

J.J., Ogershok, Jr.,

Thanks for your comment and vote of support for my antiwar positions. I have no problem believing that you are ex-SF since you obviously still feel that you must free the blogosphere from oppressive phoneys.

Yes, I confess that I am a phoney, but that is an issue distinct from my military qualifications.

Here we go. My comments on "local hires" is/should be viewed distinctly from recruitment of fighters. We didn't hire Special Commando Units in SOG, we recruited them. There is a dichotomy between tactical and "home-cleaning mama-san" functions. This is my refrence in the blog that you dismiss as phoney.

In fact, I'll actually expand the concept and point out that even the strikers frequently had loyalties to the VC/NVA and "turned" on the SF. Jon Caviani, while a POW (a friend and MOH winner who can remember my service) was questioned and tortured by a former VN SOG interpreter.

So my point being---contracting and use of indig is disastrous without correct and proper background checks. Further, background checks are virtually useless in a Counter insurgency/Guerilla warfare environment.

Now for a bit of philosophy. I certainly appreciate your opinion and most of all, that you include your name. This is most noteworthy since most "flame out" replies are anonymous. It often amazes me that people will make spurious comments such as "you are a phoney" hiding behind a keyboard. The same blog hero would never say that to my face without somebody needing a readjustment visit to the chiropractor.

Since you took the time to care, then please forward a SASE to my p.o. box and I'll gladly forward verifying documentation to ease your troubled head.

You should try to get laid more often. It'd probably adjust your headspace and timing to acceptable tolerances. I won't sign off as ex-SF. Actually, I'm former SF.
Jim

Monday, November 20, 2006 at 9:59:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Witch Doctor said...

Now that I am back in CONUS from Iraq. I decided to catch up on some issues. If you want me to send you a SASE then you have to provide me with an address and not hide behind the internet. Yes, I was one of those contractors providing medical support. By the way, getting laid is a violation of General Order number 1 in Iraq and Afganistan.

But since you admit being a phoney, why do I care?

Monday, March 12, 2007 at 2:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Witch Doctor said...

FYI,

The current system for vetting Local Nationals (LN's) and Third Country Nationals (TCN's)involves actual interviews, the collection of biometric information (finger prints and retinal scans), and photos from 5 directions capable of creating a 3-D pic of the person. Vetting is not perfect but we catch some bad guys trying to get in through the front door.

Monday, March 12, 2007 at 2:41:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Mr. Ogershok,

Welcome back, and we're glad you're safe.

Thank you for caring enough to be a part of the dialog. I was joking when I said I was "phony". I'm just tired of getting attacked as being one. If you'd like a copy of my DD214, I'd be happy to send it: my address is Jim Hruska, P. O. Box 3674, Tallahassee, FL 32315.

I sense that you are asking b/c you are genuinely interested in entering a dialog, and simply wish to verify the veracity of the writer.

I am only interested in discovery in my writing; finger-pointing is not my M.O. Anything you or I can say that will benefit the soldiers is all that I am striving for. As such, I value your input.

I went through SFOC Jan-April of '70; I was a member of B 53 5th SF Gp. in 1970-71. I came home with the group colors in March 2, 71. Ranger class 7/68. You can check the unit rosters yourself.

Best,
Jim

Tuesday, March 13, 2007 at 12:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Jumpin' Mustang said...

Dear Ranger,

I'll fight to the death your right to express your opinion, as I believe you'd do mine to disagree. I don't like you using Jon's name in your blog, as it seems your doing that to insinuate he agree's, not just "verify" your service. I believe you went to Ranger school, I never knew you could complete Green Beenie training in 3 months but I was just Parachute Infantry...so what do I know. I have no problem with your oposition to this war in Iraq but I do with you comparing it to WWII. If FDR could have shortened the war by one day he would have hired all the contractors he could. Almost 70 years is a long time. Everything is different now. Remember all the SEA LAND trucks in Vietnam? Contractors bro, not military. Anyway...I know this is an old blog, and I am no blogger, just an ol' Paratrooper with a gamey hip and a Purple Heart.

Airborne!
Honor and Courage!

Tom

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 at 7:10:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Mustang, it's nice to hear from an old airborne troop. if you read my posts i was a co. cdr in jump school and served at the airborne training center at b53/5th grp ,rvn. This is where i met Caviani. I did not imply that he supports anything that i say, i simply stated a historical fact concerning the loyalties of local hired/mercenaries.
I,m sure Caviani can speak for himself, as i remember him he had no problems expressing himself.You can contact him and piss on my parade BUT let him talk for himself. I do support all of our rights to free speech but not for your objections to my use of this incident. That is censoring.
BTW i'd enjoy talking to Caviani. Tell him CPT Hruska said hello and i've followed his activities from a distance throughout the years.They broke the mold when they made him.
thanks for writing.
PS as for sealand there were intell indicators that they paid tribute /taxes to the VC to avoid being ambushed. jim

Thursday, June 26, 2008 at 12:15:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

To all readers, there is an error in my reply- i was a grad w. tab in class 7/69 not 7/68 as stated in these exchanges.Sorry for the confusion but i failed to consider FY dates in class reckoning. We started in nov 68 and ended in feb 69.Charley Beckwith pinned my tab- his nephew Ray is a long time friend and associate since 1970.Ray ran recon in cc sog program and was quite the soldier. jim

Friday, June 27, 2008 at 10:11:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

mustang, et. al.,

Jim did not tell a small story relating to him and Mr. Caviani, but he told me a while back if it had been the only thing he did in the Army, he was proud of it.

The most disappointing thing about you conservatives is your anger and fear of engagement. A man can actually have been/be a soldier and disagree with the administration in his country. And that needs to be respected.

Instead, your tack is to attack and Swiftboat -- one cannot POSSIBLY have been a soldier and still have half a mind. Sad.

Saturday, June 28, 2008 at 10:22:00 AM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

Swiftboating is about telling the truth about phonies. That was not what I did. I asked about his comment which did not sound correct. He has vetted himself to my satisfaction. So this is not Swiftboating as used by some. Wikipedia states: Swiftboating is American political jargon that is used as a strong pejorative description of some kind of attack that the speaker considers unfair or untrue—for example, an ad hominem attack or a smear campaign.

John KERRY knew he was a phoney.

While I am at it -- We are winning in Iraq, because of old school SF tactics that should have be used from the beginning. Bremmer steped on it when he disbanded the Iraqi army. Even a sorry SF man knows better than to fail to demobilize is tantamont to creating the next insurgency. That was the problem -- conventional Army thinking.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 9:06:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

JJ O, Jr.,fuck me dead -you have the balls to call JK a phoney when we have a president that couldn't even fulfill his NG commitment.A president that by all reports was a drug addict and a drunk. I'll tell you a few old school SF ideas - this is not what leaders are about.Would you want that kind of puke on your flank?if so you've forgotten your training.
Whether we win or lose in Iraq is immaterial to the question -What is America ?Wars of aggression and pre-emptive , elective wars are not our heritage.We especially as elite soldiers should ask these tough questions.
Recent news reporting indicate that swiftboating was about lies and disinformation.it was bullshit and so is the PWOT. jim

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 10:00:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

jogershok,

I am glad you recognize the error in Bremer's actions, and "conventional Army thinking" in an UC environment. I guess the Army suffered a great setback when it disowned the VN experience.

But I do not think Mr. Kerry was a phony. He served honorably, and his fellows have testified to that fact, as does his Army record. How anyone can attack the records of men like Kerry or Max Cleland is beyond my comprehension. Of course, it is partisan politics, which never was a true road.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 at 11:45:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

jogershok,

Of course, I meant to say Kerry's "Navy" record :(!

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 at 10:51:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks for posting, definitely going to subscribe! See you on my reader
Corporate Gifts

Saturday, February 26, 2011 at 4:44:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home