RANGER AGAINST WAR: Showing the Pretty <

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Showing the Pretty

I'm heartened that a young Marine, Corporal Jason Dunham, has been awarded the Medal of Honor for actions on 04/14/04 in Iraq, albeit posthumously. But I have another, darker, thought on the matter, as well.

The Navy Seals also have a member that sacrificed himself as did Cpl. Dunham. I assume he'll also rightfully be awarded the MOH. Therefore, there will be one Navy, one USMC and one Army MOH so far from this campaign, all three posthumously awarded.

I think the MOH has not been awarded to living recipients because this would focus the news media on the brutal level of combat experienced by U.S. forces.

My admiration and sorrow at Cpl. Dunham's death are in equal proportions. I even hesitate to comment lest my comments be misconstrued as a diminuation of his incredible courage. Further, I know that daily our combat troops exhibit this selflessness in the face of brutal adversity and combat. My admiration knows no bounds.


But the U.S. military deserves live winners of this award, too, as this validates both the individual and the institution. The award should serve to enhance civilian support for the military. There is no doubt that the yardstick for earning the award has been exceeded on numerous occasions. The military institution and the soldiers as individuals must see these awards as a timely recognition for a job well done.

The government wishes to show the pretty, and hide the ugly. Deceased MOH winners can't talk.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home