RANGER AGAINST WAR: Desperado <

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Desperado


You're not gonna lose this one
You don't have to cut and run

I think you can choose to love and what is more

That is how you survived the war

--
How You Survived The War, The Weepies

A fine romance, with no kisses

A fine romance, my friend this is

We two should be like clams in a dish of chowder

But we just fizz like parts of a Seidlitz powder

--A Fine Romance, Fred Astaire


We don’t have that time

For psychological romance

No romance

No romance

No romance for me mama

--Cameo
, Word Up

I want to put on my my my my my

boogie shoes

--My Boogie Shoes,

K.C. & the Sunshine Band

__________________

Ranger was recently informed that the NPR radio show "Car Talk" is successful partly because the hosts -- Click and Clack -- are not afraid to tread into gender psychology and feelings. Personally, Ranger feels more comfortable with gauges, calipers and precision instruments that allow quantifiable readings.


It is an old battle, trying to make men feel something they just don't always feel -- love and emotion. Townes Van Zandt's "If You Needed Me" is a wonderful love song about devotion that melts the heart, but what if one just doesn't feel those things? What if one doesn't care that he doesn't feel those things?

Some of us prefer to ignore or compartmentalize those emotions. It doesn't play well, but why should anyone get their shorts in a wad over the fact that some of us operate in this mode?


On a personal, professional and national level, emotion is always the point man in disastrous patrols. Take the Phony War on Terror (PWOT ©) -- based mostly on emotional reactions and decisions, leaving us flummoxed when our troops are devastated by IEDs. A logical analysis would have predicted this event.


Emotions are something to be wary of, and examined in the light of cold logic.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually wrote a letter to a very popular blog site, which oddly enough did not publish the contents that had the heading,
"Screw bipartisanship, full speed ahead!"
But for the fact of the matter is that if you carefully listen to the "guys" talk about the economy, the bank bailouts, the war in Iraq, and all the rest of our problems summated into a cliche "et al" the "plan" they are referring too is called, "hope."

Yes, "hope," that nebulous little word that leaves panting hearts and bated lungs lingering by the phone longing for it to ring with the dulcet sounds of a new found beau's voice.
I have noticed the preponderance of "hopeful" words being used such as "probably" "maybe" "hopefully" "possibly" "with some luck" and all a slough of other words that says "Well, we're not sure if this is going to work...in fact...we're kind of clueless." Which tells me in no uncertain terms, "We think if we throw enough money at the problem something, could be anything...might happen that could be...oh...I dunno...maybe...pos-i-tive, hopefully...for us?!?"

btw, I went and saw the movie last night with my wife as part of her valentines gift...she enjoyed it...I did too.
/ahem...so, can I still keep my man card?

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 11:23:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

sheerahkhahn,
I hope she bought the tickets.
jim

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 2:01:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

"Man card" indeed! To which I will add from the Tao, it is only the truly strong who can be gentle. The rigid man breaks.

Sunday, February 15, 2009 at 4:41:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

"I hope she bought the tickets"

Um...well...kinda.
She donates blood (She tried to get me too, but I have an intense aversion to sharp pointy things made of fine steel being stuck in to me), and in return she gets movie voucher/tickets.

"To which I will add from the Tao, it is only the truly strong who can be gentle."

Of course, you know, being contrary as I can be...the only other one who can be as gentle as the truly strong is...uh...well, the truly weak.

Not sure I'm doing myself any favors with that last comment.
;)

Monday, February 16, 2009 at 11:21:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

Sheerahkahn,
I have a hard time with the hopeful weasil/tinny words myself.
LEADERS DON'T USE SUCH WORDS UNLESS THEY ARE RELIGOUS LEADERS.
The American people are addicted to such words and concepts.
My last movie ticket was 9.50 $- i should've traded a pint of blood:)
Thanks for not giving any advice re. relationships. I hope we get to meet someday.
jim

Monday, February 16, 2009 at 12:39:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

sheerahkahn,

Gentleness and compassion are goods, wherever they arise. But don't confuse the dissipation of the "weak", who must be gentle out of necessity, with the intentional gentleness of the strong.

Intention matters, too. If one is gentle while crouching in a posture of recovery and scheming, that is not a gentleness one can bank on.

Thursday, February 19, 2009 at 1:08:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home