RANGER AGAINST WAR: D-Day <

Saturday, June 06, 2009

D-Day


For some of them ... tomorrow

Is a day ... they'll never see

I can't promise we'll all make it lads

But I'll do my best ... you'll see

--The Coxswain, Tony Chapman


"Never again," was the heartfelt motto,

"Lest We Forget," became the Veteran's Day theme,

But the big guns did not long stay silent

And Peace is still a will o' wisp dream

--Lest We Forget, Mike Puhallo

________________

Ranger recognizes the D-Day Normany Landings, June 6, 1944, and all the veterans who took part in the actions of that harrowing day 65 years ago.

We will include a poem written by a friend and Vietnam Veteran, Joe Lama, in 1973:


Yours


We are the sons, your sons,

of another lost generation.

Some of us have been Lost,

Not to death, but to Hate, to Greed, to Insensitivity.


Yet a few of us are alive to life, to Optimism.


We have experienced that which you could not,

But in telling you of our Optimism,

Which we must,

We assume the risk of perpetuating The War Myth.


This is our true burden,

our true legacy.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Peter of Lone Tree said...

George Gray, Omaha, NE, Bangalore Torpedo man:
Yeah, I made it outta the boat and up the beach and pretty soon we're all crawling along the ground under some evergreens I think when one of the low-lying branches somehow tripped one of the torpedo fuses I had taped to my helmet and exploded it. Lord! I thought I'd been shot dead! But my buddies came over and picked me up and pretty soon we're walking down a dirt road and all of a sudden the guys around me are diving into the ditches on either side. "What the hell," I remember thinking. It was then I realized we were under an artillery attack, only I didn't know it 'cause the torpedo fuse explosion had made me deaf. For a while there til I got my hearing back I kept my eyes wide open especially on the guy in front of me.

More on George and the M-1 Garand vs. the Carbine maybe tomorrow.

Saturday, June 6, 2009 at 5:32:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home