RANGER AGAINST WAR: Jeesus vs. Jeebus <

Sunday, June 07, 2009

Jeesus vs. Jeebus

The Pain -- When Will it End, Tim Kreider

Yes, I'll admit that I'm a fool for you
Because you're mine, I walk the line

--I Walk the Line
, Johnny Cash

I'm only human,

of flesh and blood I'm made

Ooh human,
born to make mistakes

--I'm Only Human
, Human League
_________________

Sunday homily: Why do we have a Jesus? Why do we have Jeebus?

I suppose without him we would be lost. I mean, we might hate homosexuals, and disparage those who have failed in life's race. We might be prideful, and vengeful. We might lust and covet
other's things, and feel no pangs of remorse. At least, we have guilt, Praise the Lord.

Now, we have love. Don't you feel it every day? And these grubby things become loathsome to you, no? Oh, you say you're only human, and that is the stuff of the acolyte in the hermitage. Well, you haven't quite gotten the Good Word, yet. Don't worry -- the Jehovah's Witnesses will be leaving a flyer in your door handset sometime soon for your perusal.


Florida's
Governor Charlie Crist recently signed Senate Bill 813, "removing the terms and 'shylock' and 'shylocking' from Florida’s laws about unlawful moneylending. The terms were introduced into Florida statutes during the 1969 legislative session." So technically, we no longer disparage Hebes (Florida Governor Signs Bill Removing Discriminatory Language from Florida's Statutes).

Of course, that's not really how it is in the South. They see a place for all their lessers, as long as they "know their place." Removing restraints like this one, and opening up public washrooms and water fountains, restaurants and jobs to those of other races and creeds was quite galling to many white Christians over the last few decades. But maybe we should chalk it up to not understanding what they read in the Good Book. I'm sure things are better now.


The purpose of Jesus -- talk amongst yourselves.

Labels: , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Gordon said...

Stealing a page from Ghost Dansing, who likes to leave a message in music and so do I sometimes:

Jesus Is Coming

Sunday, June 7, 2009 at 2:23:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Peter of Lone Tree said...

...Jehovah's Witnesses will be leaving a flyer in your door..."

Message on a beautifully engraved sign in the yard of a farmhouse just north of Brandon, Iowa:
Our Dog Eats Jehovah's Witnesses
Since I don't believe the saying is copyrighted, readers may guide themselves accordingly.

There is some benefit I have discovered to having at least a slight familiarity with the Bible. PoLT, when he thinks of Lisa, is reminded of the beginning 5 words of Jeremiah Chapter 51, Verse 20.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 at 3:55:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Ghost Dansing said...

amen to that Gordon.... Jesus apparently only disliked the Pharisees and only got angry at the merchants and moneylenders in the Temple..... there's a certain group of Christians led by ministry that looks a lot like the politicized Pharisees and their version of Christianity sounds like a cheap Walmart commercial.

supply side jesus

Sunday, June 7, 2009 at 5:36:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Gordon,

Thank you -- Jesus would be pissed, methinks.

POLT,

Thank you. I live by few mottoes, one being, "Whatever you do to these my brethren, even the least of them, you have done it to Me."

G.D.,

Alas.
____________

And I would love to hear from the other side, the believers. It would please me to have a dialog.

Sunday, June 7, 2009 at 8:54:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous sheerahkahn said...

"And I would love to hear from the other side, the believers. It would please me to have a dialog."

Sorry Lisa, some hills I'm willing to die on...this one...this isn't one of them.

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 12:45:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Ghost Dansing said...

Ranger.... off topic on this issue, but regarding the previous issue..... your question: "How are Republicans and Democrats different?"

i tried to explain despite differences in political philosophy, there is/was a contingent within the Democratic Party that paralleled Republican economic philosophy (DLC) during the Clinton years, and now.....

Paul Krugman does a better job explaining that in this column by contrasting political history in the US and UK.......

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 3:47:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

GD,
I'll read the Krugman article.
I understood what you were saying and appreciate your reply. I'm definitely not an economist but I try to logic it out.
jim

Monday, June 8, 2009 at 1:42:00 PM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home