RANGER AGAINST WAR: Sobering Earth Day <

Friday, April 23, 2010

Sobering Earth Day

If we are forced, at every hour,
to watch or listen to horrible events,

this constant stream of ghastly impressions

will deprive even the most delicate

among us of all respect for humanity

--Marcus Tullius Cicero


You live like this, sheltered,

in a delicate world,

and you believe you are living

--Anais Nin

________________

Just on time for Earth Day, an massive oil rig suffered a blowout and sank in the Gulf of Mexico Tuesday night, probably leaking 8,000 barrels of crude oil a day with 700,000 gallons of diesel fuel on board (Burning Oil Rig Sinks, Setting Stage for Big Explosion.)

The focus is on the 11 men probably killed (115 were evacuated), but few are speaking of the environmental impact
(As Oil Rig Sinks, Hope Fades.) Oily water is less sexy than dead people. However, since President Obama just gave the go-ahead to drill off of our Florida coast (something even President Bush refused), this aspect deserves far more attention than it is getting.

Sadly, the ramifications are usually only known by the science geeks or serious adventurists, whose hobbies will be impacted. Another accident at sea came earlier this month, when a Chinese-registered coal-carrying ship ran aground on
Australia's Great Barrier Reef, destroying perhaps 10 miles of that World Heritage site, just before precautions to prevent such an eventuality were to have been put into place (Australia Rushes to Contain Barrier Reef Spill.) The wages of not taking precautions.

Sobering news for Earth Day 2010.

[Cross-posted at Big Brass Blog.]

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And I heard one news report (during the fire) (on PBS no less) that there was no danger of a spill because there was no connection to the well . . .
If that was so, WTF was burning?
Why do they bother making such obviously false statements?
Who is responsible for convincing those assholes that the American public is dumb enough to believe whatever is broadcast and/or printed?
I really hope the braindead repugs on Florida's west coast (and the idiot dems) who jumped to support the expanded off shore drilling will enjoy watching their beaches turn black and slick.
The BS that will flow from our "leaders" over this CF should be as much fun as, as, . . . I can't think of a CF serious enough to cover it.
I remember the bird racks that used to be along the gulf coast west and south from the mouth of the Suwanee and how good the fishing was around them and how the fishing declined when they disappeared - how minor that loss was compared to a coating of crude oil . . .
Good fucking luck, Florida.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 7:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

jeg43,

If you fish in the Everglades, which is our World Heritage Site, and a Wetland of International Importance, you will see signs that say, "Do not eat fish caught here more than once a month if you are pregnant or suffer depressed immunity".

The once lovely barrier islands due South of Tallahassee are now vile due to overbuilding and septic tank issues.

All of this before O's offshore drilling begins.

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 7:28:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lisa,

I was b&r'd in Fla - grew up fishing the lower Suwanee and the gulf from Cedar Key and north through Horseshoe and on toward Stienhatchee. Left the state in 1980 for multiple reasons but still watch what goes on there. The overbuilding hit the little town of Suwanee River many, many years ago. I would hesitate to eat anything out of the lower Suwanee and the gulf around its delta today . . .

Friday, April 23, 2010 at 8:02:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Unknown said...

Nine most feared words in the english language: "I knew President Reagan and I'm here to help."

I'm a born again Christian. You must remember that. Talking about sobriety I'm also an alcoholic which is a whole other special thing I got going for me. I voted for Reagan his first term. Whoever was independent the next. My "Desert Island" disk is a tough one. I was always a big buyer of anthologies. I hope I would be allowed three disks. Thinking it over I'm going to go with George Harrison, Annie Lennox and Jimmy Buffet. I lent out my copy of "Enjoy Every Sandwich" so I guess that one stays at home. Your results may vary but these work for me. If it comes down to what book am I going to take there's no question there. If you have not read "Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy" just Google it and you'll see what I mean. 42 is the meaning of life.

“There is a theory which states that if ever for any reason anyone discovers what exactly the Universe is for and why it is here it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another that states that this has already happened.”

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 3:03:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

jeg,

Well, you're a homeboy. I saw Steinhatchee a couple of years ago and was stunned at the ugliness -- they're dredging everywhere and building Soviet-style condos for someone. There's still no infrastructure, as in restaurants, etc.

My family arrived in FLA in the late 70's, so I've seen a lot of changes, not many for the good. My parents met in Miami in the late 50's, so they've seen a pretty rotten change in S. FLA.

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 10:03:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

rogue trader,

You're reading my mind.

Just two days ago I was discussing The Beatles and Annie Lennox with a friend in England (swear to God.) He didn't like The Beatles, but felt Harrison was more sincere, and I agreed.

Last night I also thought of opening an upcoming serious discussion with a 12-step intro: "My name is Lisa, and I'm a ---" I thought it might add a touch of levity.

Yes Hitchhiker's Guide is funny, and 42 may or may not be the answer, but you're presuming you will have an island paradise on which to retreat. Too many episodes of "Lost"...? :)

Saturday, April 24, 2010 at 10:08:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home