RANGER AGAINST WAR: Invasive Exotics <

Monday, August 08, 2011

Invasive Exotics

Southern man better keep your head
Don't forget what your good book said

--Southern Man
, Neil Young

Look at it,

it grows like a cold sore from the lip

--Little Shop of Horrors
(1960)

But if it had to perish twice,

I think I know enough of hate

To say that for destruction ice

Is also great

And would suffice

--Fire and Ice, Robert Frost
__________________

[Ranger is on the road for the next couple of weeks. We will strive for Mon-Wed-Fri posting.]


Today, it is Alabama, and the thought occurred to us that the world will not end in either fire or ice, but rather, grown over with Kudzu as the states could not hire maintenance workers to fight back the invasive menace, another gift from China that keeps on giving.

A billboard along I-65 outside of Montgomery sports a red devil, replete with pitchfork and pointy tail and asks, "Where will you spend eternity?" It suggests the helpful website,
Avoidsatan.com.

In answer to the question: We hope it is not Alabama.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Deryle said...

Ah..Alabama..my home state.
Easy to see why I left it..

The appropriate line from Mr. Young regards La Bama is"
"Alabama, your Cadillac is in the ditch."

Some good people left there.... some good people still there..just not enough.
Sam as everywhere else.

Safe Travels.

Take lots of pictures of the decline.

There it is ,
Deryle

DO NOT pick up any non-white people on the roads in LaBama--it might be the right thing to do, but the idiots there have made it illegal...along with thinking.
They agin it.

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 10:49:00 AM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Deryle,

thanks for the correct Youngian line; I never thought of ALA as a Cadillac, so it 'scaped me. Glad you got out - I didn't hear a lot of incisive thinking going on. In KY now; ditto.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Monday, August 8, 2011 at 8:26:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous Squatlo said...

Found you via my ol' bud Dumb Perignon (Sir William) who said I should come see your place. Glad I took the trip.

I've proposed the signs at our southern border (Tennessee's border) read: "Alabama: gateway to Florida!"

We have sanitary landfills in Rutherford County, Tn that would be national parks if they were located in the state of Alabama.
What a cultural desert...

Went to a Volunteer football game with my son when he was about twelve, told him Bama fans were just "different". He asked, "How so?" and I replied, "You'll see..."
Just before kickoff two good ol' boys wearing Roll Tide shirts sat down in the seats in front of us. As they took their seats I greeted them with, "Good afternoon!" and one of them turned, saw the orange jerseys we were wearing and said, "We'll see, by God!" and sat down, then spit a wad of what looked to be a horse turd out at his feet.
My son's eyes widened, and I said, "See what I mean?"

That sums up Alabama. Angry, ignorant, aggressive people with a statewide shared DNA.

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 12:00:00 PM GMT-5  
Anonymous jim at ranger said...

Squatlo,
I went to Auburn for my Masters degree.
Every time they played Bama the tide dudes would put Tide in the fountains , and throw toilet paper over the telephone/electric lines.
Now that's class. But i must say that theres a lot i liked about Alabama-the state. They give vets a break in a lot of areas.
When in Pa i heard a saying-Pa is Pittsburg on 1 end and Philly on the other with AL in between.
Thanks for writing.
jim

Tuesday, August 9, 2011 at 7:48:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger Lisa said...

Squatlo,

I'm with you -- I did not like ALA one jot; I found Tennessee to be more attractive. However, I know there is impoverishment of mind and body there, too.

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 at 8:21:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home