RANGER AGAINST WAR: The SEAL Deal <

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The SEAL Deal

__________________

Props to Naval History magazine (June 2012) for running Ranger's letter, "Not in the Manuals (p. 9)," in which he criticizes Retired Capt. Dick Couch's use of the phrase "Takedown" when speaking of the bin Laden raid as being non-military (RAW ran it here @ "La Cosa Nostra").

He was being uncharacteristically politic when he referred to the bin Laden assassination as a "military action" (but he knew no USNI publication would run his preferred terminology.) Assassinations are illegal, whatever the means or terminology used
(Beyond The Kill List); whether personality or signature, a targeted kill = assassination.

When a nation revels in successful assassinations
, it has dropped its pretense of being democratic and has crossed over into becoming warriors.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did not know you were a Lieutenant Colonel . . . . .


bb

Wednesday, June 6, 2012 at 6:54:00 PM GMT-5  
Blogger rangeragainstwar said...

BB,
I never stand /hide behind my former rank.
Most folks assume i was a em b/c i have such a focus on small unit leadership. I think of myself as a Captain b/c those were my best days.
I ONLY used my rank/title on this letter b/c i knew the navy folks would not even read it w/o my rank being used.
On Ranger i try to write as a simple ,generic Ranger.
jim

Thursday, June 7, 2012 at 6:57:00 AM GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home